Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs
29th September 2014
Produced in the cellars of the former Saint-Nicaise abbey (13th century) in Reims, Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs receives all the lavish care and attention it needs to reach its peak. Every bottle of Comtes de Champagne strictly adheres to all of the following to make it such a rare luxury and the connoisseurs choice:
• The Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs cuvée is made entirely from Chardonnays from only the best vines in the prestigious Côte des Blancs.
• It is only produced when the harvest is of exceptional quality worthy of a vintage year.
• Only the wine from the first press, the Cuvée, is used: a sure guarantee of finesse.
• 5% of the wines used to make it have been aged for 4 months in new oak barrels(a third of which are renewed every year), enhancing the intrinsic qualities and complexities of the final blend.
• Only after slow and patient ageing for almost 10 years in the Saint-Nicaise chalk pits (Crayères) does this cuvée of exceptional quality come out into the
Despite its unremarkable weather conditions, 2004 was an exuberant vintage. Although the winter was cold, there was no extended period of intense low temperatures. Spring was very pleasant with little rainfall. Blossoming was very steady, beginning in mid-June amidst relatively cool temperatures.
On the palate, a lively, direct, precise attack is dominated by flavours of candied lemon zest and fresh pineapple. The mid palate is fresh and balanced. The overall impression is of generosity, voluptuousness and volume, highlighted by characteristic grapefruit and citrus notes.
This Champagne’s marriage of finesse and aromatic intensity is a promise of further potential, but already offers very pleasurable drinking.
In general, 2005 was warm and dry. After a winter which was hard but mostly dry, spring was characterised as being very mild with a few warm periods. The flowering period ran from 15th to 19th June. After a period of concentrated rainfall towards the end of June and beginning of July, the rest of July was dominated by hot weather, and August by cool weather.
The Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs 2005 is a very expressive champagne offering generosity, volume and complexity. It already offers a very pleasurable drinking, but its structure and richness suggest that it is an interesting Champagne to lay down.
Perfect for a truly special celebration, this Champagne would also go very well with a starter based on seafood, shellfish or fish.
Shared by Kevin McKee
Glass of Bubbly
Executive editor of news content for the website Please enjoy the articles that we share - We hope you find our love for Champagne & Sparkling Wines both interesting and educational.