Coconut Fizz Cocktail
19th March 2021
Portuguese explorers were the first to report on the finding on the Coconut, they found them growing on tropical islands throughout the Indian Ocean and it is thanks to them that we call them Coconuts.
When the Portuguese first found the Coconut, they saw it as two eyes and mouth on a brown outer shell that reminded them of the grinning face of a monkey, so they called it “coquo” (coco) meaning “small animal”.
What Do You Know About The Coconut?
- Coconuts kill around 150 people each year from falling from trees.
- One Coconut tree can produce around 80-100 nuts a year.
- Coconut water was used during the Pacific War of 1941-45 in World War II, to give emergency plasma transfusions to wounded soldiers.
- During World War II the Japanese utilized Coconuts as grenades.
- Coconut fibres have been used over the centuries to make robust armour, including by the natives of the Kiribati islands, you can search ‘Kiribati Islands Coconut Armor‘ to see what the armour looks like.
The Sparkling Wine – Vinska klet Metlika
Vinska klet Metlika is a cooperative winery, what this means is that a group of different wineries come together and focus their efforts on promoting one brand.
The cooperative first started over one hundred years ago, on November 14th 1909, the first time a cooperative cellar was built to store their wines was in 1929, but during the Second World War it was destroyed, later after the war had ended in 1954, the construction of a 108-meter underground wine cellar began, it wasn’t until 2000 that they produced their first bottle of Sparkling Wine.
Vinska klet Metlika – Metliška Penina Tasting Notes
Aroma – “Fizzy peach, vanilla and green apple aromas”.
Flavour – “Dry and creamy working together on the palate with vanilla, green fruits, herbs and yeasty flavours.”
This Slovenian Sparkling Wine Won a Gold Medal in the Creamy Category at The World’s Finest Glass of Bubbly Awards 2020.
The Cocktail – The Silky Coconut
- Sparkling Wine
- Dark Rum
- Coconut Milk
How To Make The Silky Coconut Cocktail
- Dip the rim of your glass in water and then place in your coconut sugar or normal sugar.
- Pour in 25mls of Dark Rum.
- Add 100mls of Coconut Milk.
- To finish, pour in 200mls of Sparkling Wine.
Aroma – “A fantastic creamy Coconut aroma with hints from the dark premium Rum adding vanilla to the creaminess and a burnt oakiness.”
Flavour – “Soft and calming textures with bubbles on the tongue, the Rum gives a warming sensation, the coconut bursts into life after a second in the mouth, with a hint of sweetness from the sugar rim left on your lips, you also get hints of herbal and green fruits, such as green apples from the Slovenian Sparkling Wine, it’s smooth and delicious, I keep wanting to take another sip.”
WSET 2 Journalist focused on sharing Champagne and Sparkling Wine reviews and cocktails to the world.