De Castelnau Launches Rare Blanc de Blancs 2003 Vintage

10th March 2016

De Castelnau Launches Rare Blanc de Blancs 2003 Vintage

Champagne de Castelnau have recently disgorged their 2003 vintage Blanc de Blancs which has spent 11 years on lees.

There are only 11,000 bottles of this rare vintage, some of which will be available in the UK.

The 2003 is considered a challenging vintage, with many houses opting not to declare it. This was partly due to a heavy frost early in 2003 followed by high temperatures that caused an early harvest and low acidity in the grapes.

However, de Castelnau Chef de Cave, Elisabeth Sarcelet is sure that there was enough good quality to produce a premium vintage.

80% of the grapes come from the Montagne de Reims: Trépail, Ludes, Villers-Marmery, Verzy, Tauxieres and Rilly,. The other 20% came from Chouilly, Le Mesnil-sur-Oger, Nogent l’Abbesse and Bausset.

Champagne de Castelnau was founded in 1916 and will celebrating it’s 100 year anniversary this year.

Glass of Bubbly

Executive editor of news content for the website Please enjoy the articles that we share - We hope you find our love for Champagne & Sparkling Wines both interesting and educational.