Does Prosecco Taste Like Champagne?

5th October 2021

Glass of Champagne

Let’s talk about Prosecco, how it tastes, is it the cheaper Champagne option or is it an entirely different experience altogether?

Although Prosecco and Champagne are both Sparkling Wines, they are both made using different methods and different grapes, which does create two different tasting experiences.

The answer to Does Prosecco Taste Like Champagne is – No, primarily, Prosecco and Champagne have two very unique and recognizable tastes which would hardly ever cross over to the point where you might be mistaken when tasting blind.

Let’s go a little deeper and find out why they don’t end up tasting similar.

The Production Methods

The World Famous Tank Method - Stainless Steel Tanks - Wine Unfiltered

Prosecco – Prosecco is made using the Charmat (Tank) Method, which has the grapes ferment in stainless steel tanks, this method also doesn’t take as long as the Classic Method, so that’s why Prosecco will cost less than the likes of Champagne.

Champagne – Champagne is made using the Classic (Champagne) Method, which normally takes place in oak barrels and requires at least 18 months of ageing before it’s able to be packaged and sold.


Prosecco – Prosecco is made using the Glera Grape, which is a white grape, it can also be referred to as the Prosecco Grape, as it was its original name, it was changed once the grape was brought to Italy, the EU renamed it to Glera in 2009 to allow for the protection of ‘Prosecco’ as the name of a geographically-protected wine.

Its origins probably come from the country of Slovenia in a village called Prosecco (Slovene: Prosek), now it is mostly grown for the use of producing Prosecco in the Prosecco DOCG and DOC areas, in the likes of Veneto, Conegliano, Valdobbiadene and in the hills north of Treviso. It is also believed to have been grown in Ancient Roman times.

Prosecco has to be made with at least 85% of the Glera Grape, the other 15% can be made up from the likes of Verdiso, Chardonnay, Pinot Blanche, Pinot Gris, Pinot Noir, Bianchetta Trevigiana and Perera.

Champagne – There are 3 main grapes used in the production of Champagne, Pinot Noir and Meunier which are both black grapes and Chardonnay which is a white grape, they can also use Arbane, Petit Meslier, Pinot Blanc and Pinot Gris but all together they amount to less than 0.3% of plantings in the Champagne region.

Different grapes will produce different aromas and flavours, but the production methods and length of time will also affect the aromas and flavours that you will get out of your bottle of Sparkling Wine.

Aromas & Flavours

Prosecco – When you pour yourself a glass of Prosecco you normally get a light, fruity, floral and even sweet taste and aroma, it’s easy to drink and perfect for cocktails.

Aromas & Flavours:

  • Green Fruits
  • Apples – Red or Green
  • Pears
  • Tropical Fruits
  • Pineapple
  • Banana
  • Melon
  • Peach
  • Blossom – Yellow or White
  • Floral
  • Zesty – Lemon or Lime

Champagne – A more complex wine offering a 04bolder experience that gives you, oaky, toasty, brioche, buttery and yellow fruit flavours, some can be high in acidity or some can be silky and smooth, it is the drink you associate with money, success and joyful occasions, a drink to sometimes take your time over.

Aromas & Flavours:

  • Toast
  • Burnt Toast
  • Butter
  • Brioche
  • Croissant
  • Yellow Fruits
  • Yellow Stone Fruits
  • Green Fruits
  • Oak
  • Burnt Oak
  • Zesty – Lemon or Lime
  • Floral

So hopefully this has helped you see the difference between Prosecco and Champagne, this was just a basic explanation of the differences between the two, if you would like to find out more then please do look at any of the following articles or use the search bar at the very bottom of this page.

How Traditional Method Sparkling Wine Is Made Traditional Method, sometimes referred to as the Méthode Champenoise, is famously used to create Champagne in the Champagne region of France, but it isn’t exclusively used there.

What is Charmat Method?The Charmat Method is widely associated with Prosecco, but it isn’t just Italy that uses this method, it is also used in countries like Germany and America.

What To Expect From Tasting Champagne, Prosecco & Cava When enjoying a glass of Champagne, Prosecco or Cava, there are certain aromas and flavours that are…

Oliver Walkey

Champagne and Sparkling Wine Writer, Focused on Bringing the Exciting and Fascinating World of Bubbly to You.