15th January 2014
Ruinart is the oldest established Champagne house, exclusively producing Champagne since 1729. Founded by Nicolas Ruinart in the city of Reims. he realised the ambitions of his uncle, Dom Thierry Ruinart: to make Ruinart an authentic Champagne House. In the period immediately following the 1728 edict of Louis XV, which authorized the transport of wine in bottles, prior to this it could only be transported in barrels, the first delivery of bottles went out in January, 1730.
The house is today owned by the parent company LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton.
Ruinart’s cellars, acquired in 1768, are amongst the largest in the region, and are gallo-roman in origin. Like most Champagne cellars, they are the product of ancient chalk mining, and extend 38 metres below the ground and are 8 km long. The chalk helps to keep the cellars at a constant 11 degrees Celsius. The chalk pits were classified as a historic monument in 1931. The Ruinart taste is greatly dependent on the aging in chalk pits: 3 to 4 years for non-vintages and 9 to 10 years for Dom Ruinart.
Glass of Bubbly
Executive editor of news content for the website Please enjoy the articles that we share - We hope you find our love for Champagne & Sparkling Wines both interesting and educational.