28th March 2014


Ruinart was the first established Champagne House in 1729.

Nicolas Ruinart, a Reims draper like his father, started his first account ledger devoted to “wine with bubbles” on September 1, 1729. This ledger serves as the birth certificate for the first Champagne House ever created. The first bottles of “wine with bubbles.”


In 1735, Maison Ruinart abandoned the cloth trade to concentrate on the burgeoning Champagne trade. This became Nicolas’s sole occupation and growth was exponential with 170 bottles sold in 1730, 3,000 bottles in 1731, 36,000 in 1761, and onwards.

In 1768, Ruinart acquired former Gallo-Roman chalk quarries, hollowed out under the city of Reims to a depth of up to 38 metres, for the purpose of storing its bottles. Classified in 1931, this imposing site extends over three levels with eight kilometres of galleries.


On April 12, 1817, Louis XVIII granted nobility to François Irénée Ruinart. With the letters of nobility, the King also granted François the heraldic crest which has appeared on the labels of Ruinart bottles ever since.

The Ruinart Taste

The Chardonnay is the very soul of Ruinart. The grape, mainly harvested from the Côte des Blancs and Montagne de Reims terroirs, is at the heart of all our cuvées. With its fresh aromas, vivacity, purity and luminosity, the Chardonnay is the essence of all our cuvées.

Ageing is up to 3 years for non-vintage wines, and 9 to 10 years for a Dom Ruinart.


Frédéric Panaïotis, Ruinart Cellar Master

Glass of Bubbly

Executive editor of news content for the website Please enjoy the articles that we share - We hope you find our love for Champagne & Sparkling Wines both interesting and educational.