13th January 2014
Taittinger was founded in 1734 in Reims by Jacques Fourneaux. The estate today is headed by Pierre-Emmanuel Taittinger (born 1953) and the grandson of the founder. It remains one of the few Champagne Houses to remain owned and actively managed by the family named on the label.
The Taittinger estate is one of the three most extensive in the Champagne district and is distinguished for its extensive vineyard holdings of 752 acres, including prestigious Grand Cru vineyards. The Taittinger cellars were established in the Abbey of Saint-Nicaise, built in the thirteenth century in Gallo-Roman chalk pits dating from the fourth century and are 17 metres underground.
The hallmark of the Taittinger Champagnes is the high percentage of Chardonnay used in their wine. Since it’s first cuvee in 1952 there have been 30 vintages.
Glass of Bubbly
Executive editor of news content for the website Please enjoy the articles that we share - We hope you find our love for Champagne & Sparkling Wines both interesting and educational.