Christmas Movie Cocktails – It’s a Wonderful Life
24th December 2020
It’s a Wonderful Life released on January 7th, 1947 in the U.S. and the 5th of December 1997 in the UK, it had a budget of between $3-4 million, it made $6,130,720 in the box office worldwide. It is widely considered the most popular Christmas movie of all time with it taking 1st place on a lot of most popular Christmas lists.
“Look, Daddy. Teacher says, every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings.”
It’s A Wonderful Life – Did You Know?
1. It’s A Wonderful Life was Donna Reed’s first starring role.
2. The film wasn’t an initial success, it actually bombed at the box office leaving Director Frank Capra $525,000 in debt, its popularity came about after the copyright lapsed, in 1974. It’s A Wonderful Life became royalty-free, meaning anyone who wanted to show the film could for free, this made it a popular choice to broadcast on TV around Christmas enabling it to become one of the most popular Christmas movies of all time. The royalty-free ended in 1994.
3. The town of Bedford Falls was created especially for the film, it ended up covering four acres, consisting of 75 stores and buildings, 20 fully-grown oak trees, factories, residential areas, and a 300-yard-long Main Street.
4. The film was shot in the summer of 1946, during a heatwave.
5. The writer Philip Van Doren Stern was paid $10,000 for the rights to his script. He printed 200 copies of the script and send them out as a 21 page Christmas card to family and friends, David Hempstead, a producer at RKO Pictures, ended up getting his hands on it and the rest is history.
Enjoy A Glass of Fitz This Christmas
Fitz has a truly fascinating story of a British winery pushing through their hard times and embracing them, they couldn’t be called English Sparkling Wine because they used the Charmat Method instead of the Traditional Champagne Method, so they came up with Sparkling Wine Made in England, to keep it clear that they were still British, even their name Fitz, is sourced from Anglo‐Norman times, there is so much more to their story which we can find out in our dedicated Fitz – Sparkling Wine Made In England article.
Fitz – Fitz Cassic Tasting Notes
Aroma – “Apple tart and almond aromas.”
Flavours – “Crunchy green apple flavour with lime and almonds.”
This Made in England Sparkling Wine Won a Gold Medal in the First Date Category at The World’s Finest Glass of Bubbly Awards 2020.
The Christmas Movie Cocktail
- Sparkling Wine
How To Make The Cocktail
- Pour in 150mls of Eggnog.
- Then add in 200mls of Sparkling Wine.
How To Make The Eggnog
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 whole clove
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of rum
- In a bowl beat egg yolks until they become somewhat lighter in colour. Slowly add the sugar. Whisk until fluffy.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and add the clove and cinnamon. Slowly heat on medium heat until the milk mixture is steamy hot, but not boiling.
- Slowly add half of the hot milk mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly then pour the mixture back into the saucepan.
- Heat the mixture on medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until it begins to thicken slightly. Do not allow the mixture to boil, or it will curdle.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream.
- Leave to cool for one hour.
- Stir in vanilla extract, nutmeg and rum and chill for 1 hour.
Cocktail Tasting Notes
Aroma – “Creamy vanilla milkshake with a touch of Rum on the aromas. “
Flavours – “Fizzy vanilla, creamy milkshake style flavour with a silky touch of fizz from the Fitz.”
Have A Merry Christmas
WSET 2 Journalist focused on sharing Champagne and Sparkling Wine reviews and cocktails to the world.