Blackberry Fizz Cocktail
2nd March 2021
Another great Fizz Cocktail for you to enjoy utilizing delicious Blackberries and Slovenian Sparkling Wine.
What Do You Know About The Blackberry?
- The Romans used leaves from the blackberry plant to make tea to treat various illnesses and the Greeks used blackberries as a remedy for Gout.
- Blackberries are normally in season from June to September, depending on the region they are grown in.
- Blackberries have been used by women in labor to help reduce labor pains as they contain high levels of vitamin K which acts as a muscle relaxant.
- Some believe that the crown of thorns placed on Christ’s head for his crucifixion was made from blackberry brambles.
- Before the blackberry turns black, it is red, this leads to the old expression that “blackberries are red when they’re green.”
The Sparkling Wine
Karlovcek – Jernejeva Penina Rose – Slovenia Tasting Notes
Aroma – “Ripe blackberries and raspberries on the aroma.”
Flavour – “A smooth and delicate expression of red and blackberries on the palate.”
This Slovenian Sparkling Wine Won a Bronze Medal in the Light & Fruity Category at The World’s Finest Glass of Bubbly Awards 2020.
The Cocktail – Blackberry Brambles
- Sparkling Wine
How To Make The Blackberry Brambles Cocktail
- Grab your blender and blend together 1 teaspoon of sugar, 50mls of water and a handful of blackberries.
- Pour your blackberry purée into a cocktail shaker and add 10mls of Whisky aged in an ex-port barrel.
- Shake for about 10 seconds and pour into your glass.
- Top up with your Sparkling Wine.
Aroma – “Fresh blackberry aromas.”
Flavour – “Fizzy blackberries with various other berries and a nudge from the Whisky bringing in hints of tobacco and oak.”
WSET 2 Journalist focused on sharing Champagne and Sparkling Wine reviews and cocktails to the world.